Can You Study in Australia Without IELTS?
Do you have a dream to study in Australia, but don’t have your IELTS? Don’t worry – an alternative pathway is available to you!
Firstly, what exactly is IELTS, and why is it so important?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most widely used, standardised English proficiency test in the world, with more than three million tests taken each year.
It’s important because foreigners are often required to pass the IELTS when applying for study, work, and migration visas, in English-speaking countries.
IELTS results are recognised by over 10,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations and governments, in 140 countries around the world, including Australia.
There are two ways you can complete your IELTS: online, or on paper. There are also two different types of IELTS: General Training and Academic. When it comes to studying in Australia, some universities require you to have successfully completed your IELTS Academic, in order to successfully apply.
However, instead of completing an IELTS test, you can choose to enrol in an English language pathway program at many major universities like Murdoch University.
Instead of sitting the IELTS test on your own before applying for a degree, you can enrol in an English language course directly via language and preparation schools, and transfer into a degree from there.
There are actually a few advantages to choosing this pathway:
- You get to come to Australia and be immersed in English while studying it
- You’ll have access to a lot of extra help and resources via a pathway education provider
- Studying on campus, you’ll have the chance to familiarise yourself with everything by the time you start your degree, making it an easier transition
To illustrate how this process works, here’s how you can get into a degree at Murdoch University and study in Australia without IELTS, in 3 easy steps:
- Enrol in either a General English or English for Academic Purposes course at the Murdoch Institute of Technology (Murdoch University’s dedicated, on-campus language and preparation school) depending on your existing level of English. If your English is already quite competent, you can skip General English and go straight to English for Academic Purposes. If not, you will first need to complete General English. This process can take from 10 to 20 weeks.
- On successful completion of your English For Academic Purposes course, you can choose to transition into a Diploma, Murdoch University Preparation Course (MUPC), or Foundation Studies program.
- Once you complete your diploma, you will automatically transfer straight into the second year of your chosen degree. On completion of your MUPC or Foundation Studies program, you are guaranteed entry into the first year of one of over 100 bachelor’s degrees on offer at Murdoch University.
It’s also worth noting that IELTS is not the only English language test that’s accepted by Australian universities.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL test is equally as popular at IELTS in Australia. See here how it’s slightly different to the IELTS, and decide for yourself if that’s an option for you
The Pearson Test of English (PTE) and Cambridge English Advanced Exam (CAE) are also broadly accepted across different universities in Australia. They are quite different from the IELTS. For example, the resulting CAE certification lasts forever, whereas the IELTS has a two-year expiry date. You can check out all the differences between the PTE, CAE, IELTS and TOEFL exams here.
Interested in starting your pathway to Murdoch University? See here to find out more about applying for an English or preparation course at MIT.
5 High Demand Jobs in Perth and Western Australia
Are you considering coming to Western Australia for work or study, and wondering what the job market looks like? Overall, the WA job market is taking a positive turn in the last few years. According to one analysis by 11Recruitment of all online job listings on Seek, the number of jobs posted overall in the Perth region has gone up by 3.4%, between August 2018 and August 2019. To find out what the 5 most in-demand skill sets are, we’ve gone over the latest market data on industry growth and job listings in WA. Here’s what we found. 1. Mining, … Continued
4 Benefits of Volunteering While Studying in Australia
Going overseas to study means adapting quickly to a lot of new things at once, so you may be thinking, ‘how could I possibly fit in volunteering as well?’ But here’s the thing. Rather than thinking of it as a drain on your time, a volunteer role might be exactly what you need to help achieve your personal and career goals. Here are four unexpected benefits of volunteering that you should consider: 1. Volunteering is a great way to meet locals and practise your English Your level of English proficiency not only affects your grades and ability to find employment, … Continued
The 10 Best Jobs for Uni Students
Finding the perfect job as a uni student can be tricky; the role needs to meet your financial needs while still giving you the flexibility to study. Ideally, it will also teach you a few industry-relevant and soft skills along the way! At the Murdoch Institute of Technology, our Student Support Officers are always on hand to make sure you settle into student life in Perth. This includes help and professional advice with a key concern students have when they first move to Australia: how and where to find part-time work? If you’re not sure where to start your search, … Continued