On successful completion of our Diploma of Communications and Media Studies, you will have a direct pathway to the second year of a range of majors at Murdoch University, including Journalism, Global Media and Communication and Tourism and Events. We provide individual guidance to make sure you’re choosing the course that’s going to help you pursue your passion full-time.
Our Diploma doesn’t just get you ready for university. We’ve designed our course to give you a foundation in practical skills and knowledge essential for a broad range of careers in business. As well as providing the same content as first year Murdoch University students, MIT offers a number of other key advantages:
You can complete an MIT Diploma before going on to the second-year at Murdoch University graduating with two accredited AQF qualifications – a Diploma and a Bachelor Degree. That’s two qualifications over the three-year period it usually takes to get one.
Studying on campus means that you gain access to the world-class facilities offered by Murdoch University.
With smaller class sizes, an additional one hour per week of academic tuition and a focus on student welfare and guidance; at MIT you’ll receive the care and individual attention you need to thrive.
With three intakes per year and a flexible course structure, you can speed up your completion. If you’re a domestic student you can also take on a lighter course load.
Successful completion will satisfy entry requirements for progression to Year 2 of a Bachelor of Arts, with a choice of major in the following:
- Communication and Media Studies
- Public Relations*
- Tourism and Events*
*Majors requiring additional units to be taken at Murdoch University
|There are a total of 8 units to undertake to complete the Diploma of Communication and Media Studies
6 Core units
You can choose 2 elective units taken from the Diploma of Communication and Media Studies or from another MIT Diploma.
Individual guidance on unit selection will ensure the completed MIT diploma meets the core unit requirements of the intended major(s) at University.
Choose the Right Pathway For You
Our flexible study options allow you to choose the pace at which you learn and when you enter Murdoch University.
Students should review individual unit information for specific assessment details as assessment methods may vary.
Download the full curriculum
Media and communications are an essential part of every business in the 21st century, whether it’s to do with publishing news or selling sneakers. There is a wide range of opportunities for you to shine in this dynamic field, such as:
- Fundraiser or Event Manager
- Public Relations Consultant
- Social Media Consultant
- TV or Radio Program Manager
- Media Planner or Buyer
- Corporate Communications Manager
- Successful completion of Year 12 with an ATAR of 50 or more
- Successful completion of MUPC
- Successful completion of the Western Australian Universities’ Foundation Program (WAUFP) CPS 40+
- Successful completion of Certificate IV
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) Test Min 140
- Non-School Leaver entry is also available*
- See our Entry Requirements page for specific requirements in your country.
English language requirements
- 50% pass in English
- 60% pass in English for Academic Purposes
- IELTS: 5.5 average (no band less than 5.0)
- Reading and Writing minimum 5.5
- Listening and Speaking minimum 5.0
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) 0 Level: C6 minimum
- Paper-based – 527, or
- IBT – 46
- Pearson Test of English: 42
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): 162
View full list of international entry requirements
*Students 20 years of age or older may be considered mature age students and are able to apply for Non School Leaver entry. High school results, TAFE, or Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications, work experience or other informal study may be accepted in support of your application.